Panasonic Toughbook 54 sets new standard for semi-rugged laptops
Powerful and portable Toughbook 54 is thinnest and lightest in its class
Panasonic, an industry leader in reliable and innovative mobile computers since 1996, announced the Toughbook 54. As the thinnest and lightest semi-rugged laptop in its class1, the Toughbook 54 is a highly portable tool for mobile professionals who need durability, power and feature sets beyond what a standard consumer laptop can offer. With a 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 vPro™ processor, 11 hours of battery life2 – 18 hours with an optional hot- swappable second battery2 – and a wide range of integrated options, the Toughbook 54 is a reliable and versatile tool for mobile workers in demanding markets such as telecommunications, utilities, construction, field service, and government.
The Toughbook 54 is the latest in Panasonic’s line of products that created and continues to define the semi-rugged category. Offering enhanced security, a full magnesium alloy case with handle, and resistance to spills and drops, the Toughbook 54 is purpose-built for professionals who spend a significant amount of time working from the road or in the outdoors. For professionals who need power in addition to rugged portability, the Toughbook 54 is available with dual drives, up to 16GB of memory, and a 1080p full HD display and webcam. Two models will be available to meet customer demand –Gloved Multi Touch and Non-touch – with both designed to assure a high long-term return on investment for a diverse range of businesses and government agencies.
“The release of the Toughbook 54 is proving once again that Panasonic has listened to our customers,” said Susan Black, Director, Computer and Enterprise Solutions, Panasonic Canada Inc. “Panasonic has engineered this product to redefine the semi-rugged laptop market. We have managed to create a product that can be completely customized, while being lightweight and meeting military standards. This product is revolutionary for its price point and should be considered as an alternative for any mobile user.”
Panasonic Toughbook 54: Key Features
- Highly Portable Design: One of the thinnest and lightest designs in its class.
- Semi-rugged and Reliable: MIL-STD-810G and IP5x magnesium alloy design with built-in handle. Tested by an independent third-party lab to survive 3 foot drops on 26 faces; features port covers, a spill-resistant keyboard, touchpad, hinges and display. The Toughbook 54 offers improved vibration resistance and uses tough magnesium alloy in more areas as compared to our similar models such as the Toughbook 53.
- Next-Generation Processor: 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-5300U vPro™ Processor (3MB cache, 2.3GHz up to 2.9GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
- Powerful Graphics Processor: Intel® HD Graphics 5500
- Full-Shift Battery Life: Up to 11 hours of continuous use2; up to 18 hours2 with optional media bay second battery.
- Enterprise-Grade Memory & Storage: 4-8GB RAM (16GB RAM available as special order); 500GB shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive with heater for cold temperature operation. Optional 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD and 1TB 7200rpm HDD with heaters. For even more storage and/or convenient backups, the Toughbook 54 is the first Panasonic notebook to offer optional dual drives2 – 128GB or 256GB SSD with heaters.
- Advanced Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro Update 64-bit or Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro)
- Optional 1000 nit Touchscreen: 10-point capacitive Gloved Multi Touch model with stylus available. Panasonic is one of the few manufacturers that has been able to offer the smooth operation of a capacitive display but still allow users to choose to keep their gloves on if they need.
- High Resolution Displays: 14.0″ IPS 1080p full HD display (Gloved Multi Touch model) or 768p HD display (Non-touch model)
- High Resolution Webcam: To go along with the available 1080p full HD display, the Toughbook 54 offers an optional 1080p webcam for crystal-clear video conferences.
- Faster Typing & Night Time Use: Standard on all models, an emissive backlit keyboard offers four levels of brightness for uses to adjust their keyboard brightness setting from a soft light to a warm glow for easy typing at night or in darkened settings. Plus, the rounded ergonomic keys allow for faster typing with less chance for errors.
- Improved Speakers: To help combat with the noise outdoors or inside vehicles, the speakers in the Toughbook 54 (up to 91 dB) are now twice as loud as similar models such as the Toughbook 53. For comparison, a Boeing 737 at 1 nautical mile before landing is 97 dB and a diesel train at 45mph from 100 feet is 83 dB.
- Dependable Connectivity: USB 3.0 (x3), Bluetooth 4.0 (class 1), Intel® Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; optional 4G LTE multi carrier embedded wireless with satellite GPS; optional dedicated GPS (u-blox) and antenna pass through
- Wirelessly Stream Content: Intel® Wireless Display (WiDi) allows easy and secure presenting without the need for any video cables on displays that either have Intel WiDi built in or have an adapter plugged in.
- Enhanced Security: Trusted platform module (TPM) 1.2, Computrace® theft protection, cable lock slot, supports multiple variations of dual-form authentication with optional fingerprint3, insertable and contactless3 SmartCard readers.
- Additional Options3: DVD drive, true serial port, VGA, PC Card, 2nd LAN, rugged Fischer® USB port.
For a full list of specifications and more detailed information, visit www.panasonic.com
1 As of February 13, 2015, compared to 14.0” semi-rugged laptops
2 per MobileMark 2007 testing; battery life depends on model and usage conditions
3 Not all options are available together
Pricing and Availability
The Panasonic Toughbook 54 is available this month. Please contact Panasonic Canada or your authorized Panasonic resellers for pricing. The Toughbook 54 includes a standard three-year limited warranty.
Sales inquiries for Panasonic’s mobile computers should be directed to ToughbookMarketing@ca.panasonic.com or 1-866-413-3099.
Panasonic Enterprise Solutions
Panasonic delivers game-changing technology solutions that deliver a customized experience to drive better outcomes—for our customers and our customers’ customers. Panasonic engineers reliable products and solutions that help to create, capture and deliver data of all types, where, when and how it is needed. The complete suite of Panasonic professional solutions for government and commercial enterprises of all sizes addresses unified business communications, mobile computing, security and surveillance, retail point-of-sale, office productivity, visual communications (projectors, displays, digital signage) and HD video production. Panasonic enterprise solutions are delivered by Panasonic Canada Inc., a subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation of North America.
All brand and company/product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies. All specifications are subject to change without notice. Information on Panasonic Enterprise Solutions can be obtained by calling 1-866-413-3099 or at www.panasonic.com.
About Panasonic Canada Inc.
A subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation of North America, Panasonic Canada Inc. provides a broad line of digital and other electronics products and solutions to meet consumer, business and industrial needs. Consumers seeking more information on the company’s products can visit Panasonic’s home page at www.panasonic.com
All brand and company/product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies. All specifications are subject to change without notice.